Student Sessions in-person @ the LitFest!
The Emirates Airline Festival of Literature brings you a selection of in-person sessions for your students to attend and enjoy. These sessions will be fun and interactive, with your students being able to engage with the author and ask questions.
The tickets are priced at 40 AED per student, with accompanying teachers granted free entry. Terms and Conditions apply. Please see below.
Magrudy’s bookstore will be on site for book purchases before or after the session. For advance or bulk book purchasing, please visit your local Magrudy’s store.
Rob Biddulph: Draw With Rob
Author, illustrator, and draw-along genius Rob Biddulph is known across the world for his brilliant Draw with Rob videos. In this interactive event, Rob will talk about his journey from budding artist to award-winning book creator and will also introduce you to Peanut Jones, the star of his new series of middle-grade stories.
Rob Biddulph’s first picture book was published in 2014 and since then, Rob has created many more of his own books and illustrated several books by other authors. In March 2020, as schools across the globe began to close their doors, Rob posted a video online for a draw-along of his dinosaur character Gregosaurus, and that was the start of #DrawWithRob. There are now over 80 videos that have been watched over 4 million times on YouTube alone!
Ali Sparkes: The Shapeshifter Series
What happens when ordinary children suddenly discover that they have extraordinary powers? The Shapeshifters series by Ali Sparkes explores what happens to a group of young people who are whisked away to a secret government school where they can learn to harvest and control their powers; but is there more to the school than meets the eye? Ali will talk about this successful series to the audience and share where she finds her ideas and how she draws and develops her characters. An inspiring and energetic speaker, she will both entertain and educate during this event.
Ali Sparkes began her writing career as a journalist before moving onto writing and performing comedy columns. She tried her hand at children’s fiction and not long after, the first novel in her bestselling Shapeshifter series was published. With more than 40 books now published, Sparkes is renowned for her high comedy, interactive and energetic presentations.
Ken Arto: A Career in Animation
Ken Artaud, better known as Ken Arto, is a French-Japanese animator who has worked on major Japanese anime series and movies. He will focus on how to succeed in the world of animation, with examples of his own work and the films he has worked on to illustrate his career path and approach to creating successful anime series. This is an excellent opportunity for students to gain an insight into aspects of this creative industry and how they can exploit their own talents, and the skills needed to tackle the challenges, including the need for speed in producing content when you are being paid per drawing, and how to motivate yourself to meet tight deadlines.
Ken Arto began his career in 2011 as an intern at Telecom Animation Film studio and from then moved on to work with several other well-known studios including Graphinica, Studio 4C and Ufotable and is currently working on two animated movies.
Terms and Conditions
- Each school can purchase up to 30 student tickets only.
- For every purchase of 15 student tickets, the school is entitled to 1 free teacher ticket.
- For every purchase of 16 – 30 student tickets, the school is entitled to 2 free teacher tickets.
- Any additional teachers accompanying the students must purchase a ticket online prior.
- Teachers are responsible for the students’ safety and well-being during their visit to the sessions.
- Teachers must present a green pass on the Al Hosn App to enter the premise with their students.
- Masks must be worn at all times while attending the session.
- Tickets can only be purchased online using a credit card. No other modes of payment can be accepted.
- Proof of payment/Receipt will be emailed to you after purchasing your tickets.
- Please do not print your tickets. The Festival is a sustainable event using digital tickets with dynamic bar codes.
- Be prepared to present the digital tickets on your phone at the entrance of the session.
- Photographers and videographers are working onsite, and anyone attending the event may be included in the Emirates Literature Foundation’s image bank and promotional materials. By purchasing tickets to the event, you confirm that you have approval from the parents of the students in your care to be photographed.
If you have any further questions regarding the event, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or give us a call:
+971 4 355 9844 (ext 305)
+971 4 355 9844 (ext 414)