The Reader’s Cup
The Readers’ Cup competition is a reading competition for schools, held annually by the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature. Teams of four students read and study a selection of books to compete for the Cup.
How the Competition Works
- The list of books for the Readers’ Cup 2022 can be found online here.
- Teams of students are chosen by the school (maximum of 4 students per team).
- Each school/branch may enter up to two teams in Primary (up to age 11) and up to two teams in Secondary (age 12 to 16).
- Each school appoints one designated coordinator for the competition.
- Schools register their teams online via the Festival website from 5 September 2021.
- Upon registration, you will receive a confirmation email that includes the dates for the first round per age group.
- The closing date to register the teams is 13 October 2021.
- You can purchase the books from Magrudy’s Bookshops around the UAE. Visit their website for store locations.
- Please Note: The first round will take place virtually.
- The link to the Round One questions, along with the virtual round procedure will be emailed to all registered teams prior to the first round.
- The first-round questions will consist of a written quiz on the three books.
- An email will be sent to all participating schools announcing the finalists.
- Certificates of Participation will be emailed automatically to all teams after the completion of the first round.
- The 20 teams in each age group with the highest scores go head to head in the finals of the Readers’ Cup competition.
- School coordinators for teams that have reached the finals will receive an email notifying them of the two new additional books to be read for the final round.
- The finals will take place during the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature in February 2022 (TBC).
- In the finals, the questions will be read out and the students will write down their answers.
- Questions will cover the two new books and feature a review of the three first-round books.
- The Award Ceremony for each age group will follow the completion of the final round held during the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature in February 2022 (TBC).
The winners will be honoured at an award ceremony in February 2022. The overall first-place teams in each age group will receive:
- A trophy for each winning school
- A book voucher for AED 2000 for each wining team that can be used at Magrudy’s Bookshops
- A medal for each team member
The second and third place teams will be honoured at the ceremony and receive medals for the team members.
Click here to view the winners of the 2021 edition of the competition.
The Festival dates are 3 – 12 February 2022.
|Registration Opens||5 September 2021|
|Book Announcement||5 September 2021|
|Registration Closes||13 October 2021|
|First Round||22 – 23 November 2021|
|Final Round||February 2022 (TBC)|
Student teams will read three books for the first round and two new additional books for the final round.
Please Read the Following Points Carefully
- Schools wishing to enter students in the Arabic competition should register here while those entering in English should use the form below.
- Each school can register in English and Arabic, and can enter up to two teams in each language in each age category.
- For examples of the Readers’ Cup questions from previous years, please click here for Primary and here for Secondary.
- The books are available from Magrudy’s Bookshops around the UAE. Visit their website for store locations
- For further enquiries regarding the Readers’ Cup, please contact Mia Santiago at 04 355 9844, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Terms and Conditions
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to observe the terms and conditions of the competition.
- Each school can enter up to two teams of four students per language per age group.
- Entrants are welcome from the GCC (UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait). Finalists must be prepared to attend the final rounds in Dubai at their own expense.
- The entrants give permission for the Emirates Literature Foundation and Emirates Airline Festival of Literature to publicise photographic images of the participating students in all stages of the competition in related publicity material and activities. Schools should be aware that they might need to obtain parental consent for this.
- Judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with regard to these decisions.
- Please note that participating schools which do not adhere to the said terms and conditions will be disqualified.
Enter the Competition
To register, click here.