The Chevron Readers’ Cup
The Chevron Readers’ Cup is a reading competition for schools, held annually by the Emirates Literature Foundation. Teams of four students read a selection of books to compete for the Chevron Readers’ Cup. The key idea of the competition is to have fun, learn a few things along the way and enjoy reading!
How the Competition Works
- The list of books for the first round of the Chevron Readers’ Cup 2024 have now been announced. Please find the list of books here.
- Teams of students are chosen by the school (maximum of 4 students per team).
- Each school/branch may enter up to two teams in Primary (up to age 11) and up to two teams in Secondary (age 12 to 16).
- Each school appoints one designated coordinator for the competition.
- Schools register their teams online via the form below from 4 September 2023.
- Upon registration, you will receive a confirmation email that includes the dates for the first round per age group.
- The closing date to register the teams is 2 October 2023.
- You can purchase the books from Magrudy’s bookshops around the UAE. Visit their website for store locations.
- Please Note: The first round will take place virtually.
- The link to the Round One questions, along with the virtual round procedure will be emailed to all registered teams prior to the first round.
- The first round questions will consist of a written quiz on the three books.
- An email will be sent to all participating schools announcing the finalists.
- Certificates of Participation will be emailed automatically to all teams after the completion of the first round.
- The list of books for the final round of the Chevron Readers’ Cup 2024 is yet to be announced.
- The 20 teams in each age group with the highest scores go head-to-head in the finals of the Chevron Readers’ Cup competition.
- School coordinators for teams that have reached the finals will receive an email notifying them of the two additional books to be read for the final round.
- The finals will take place during the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature in late January/early February 2024.
- In the finals, the questions will be read out and the students will write down/type out their answers.
- Questions will cover the two new books and feature a review of the three first round books.
- The Prize Giving Ceremony for each age group will follow the completion of the final round held during the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature in late January/early February 2024.
The winners will be honoured at a Prize Giving Ceremony in late January/early February 2024. The overall first-place teams in each age group will receive:
- A trophy for each winning school
- A book voucher for AED 1000 for each winning team that can be used at Magrudy’s bookshops
- A medal for each team member
The second and third place teams will be honoured at the ceremony and receive:
- Medals for each team member
- A voucher for AED 500 that can be used at Magrudy’s bookshops
Please Read the Following Points Carefully
- Schools wishing to enter students in the Arabic competition should register via the Arabic form while those entering in English should use the form below.
- Each school can register in English and Arabic, and can enter up to two teams in each language in each age category.
- Examples of the Chevron Readers’ Cup questions from previous years: Primary Questions and Secondary Questions.
- The books are available from Magrudy’s bookshops around the UAE. Visit their website for store locations.
For further enquiries regarding the Chevron Readers’ Cup, please contact us at +971 4 286 4750 or email us at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The Emirates LitFest will take place from 31 January – 6 February 2024.
|4 September 2023
|4 September 2023
|2 October 2023
|30 October 2023
Student teams will read three books for the first round and two additional books for the final round.
Terms and Conditions
- Only registered teams are allowed to participate in the first round.
- Each school can enter up to two teams of four students (maximum) per language per age group.
- Please ensure the age of the students in the team (for each age category) is based on the closing date of the competition – 2 October 2023.
- Entrants are welcome from the GCC (UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia , Oman, Qatar, and Kuwait). Finalists must be prepared to attend the final rounds in Dubai at their own expense.
- The entrants give permission for the Emirates Literature Foundation and Emirates Airline Festival of Literature to publicise photographic images of the participating students in all stages of the competition in related publicity material and activities. Schools should be aware that they might need to obtain parental consent for this.
- Judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with regard to these decisions.
- For confidentiality reasons we are unable to share individual team scores with schools.
- The Emirates Literature Foundation is not responsible for any lost or stolen vouchers after being awarded to the school/students at the awarding ceremony.
- Please note that participating schools which do not adhere to the said terms and conditions will be disqualified.
Please check that you have followed and agree to all the terms and conditions before submitting your registration.
Enter the Competition
This competition is now closed! Thank you for your interest!